Although I won a poetry competition in the local paper (Blackburn Telegraph) aged 13, my professional background is mainly theatrical. After moving to London to attend drama school at 18. I worked extensively in theatre (National, Touring, TIE, Agitprop). Latterly, in my career as an actress, I appeared on film and TV, including “Coronation Street” (ITV), “Worlds End” (BBC), “Sacred Hearts” (Film4).
Consequently, I’m a confident and relaxed performer who loves her job and knows how to do it.
I can enhance your event with poetry that stimulates, challenges and amuses.
I’m happy performing in any kind of venue. Art Galleries. Pubs. Clubs. Boats. Fields. Buses. Studios. Halls. Theatres. Etc….
I can devise and / or advise on a tailor-made show combining poetry, with music, drag, comedy or burlesque, that draws on my many years of experience and friendships within the entertainment industry.
I accept POETRY COMMISSIONS
- SITE SPECIFIC: e.g. “Save the Black Cap“, written on the anniversary of the closure of the Black Cap pub in Camden NW1, performed in situ and on Soho Radio (Soho Society Hour).
- DATE SPECIFIC: e.g. “Schwule“, written for International Holocaust Day (27th Jan), detailing the experiences of homosexuals during the Holocaust. Performed at Granary Square (N1C).
- EVENT SPECIFIC: Poem for “London Pride” (26th June), performed at Trafalgar Square stage
- COMMEMORATIVE DAYS: e.g. “Idahot“, written for International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. Performed at St. Paul’s Cathedral and featured on local and national radio.
- IN RESPONSE TO: e.g. a cataclysmic or celebratory event that impacts our LGBT community, e.g. “Response to Orlando Massacre“. Performed at the Old Compton Street Vigil (16th June), and filmed and featured on Sky News.
I offer interactive talks, workshops and shows on LGBT issues suitable for:
- Community halls
- Corporate functions
My shows include
- “LGBT Poetry Past & Present”
- “How, Why & When”
- “The Consequence of Kisses”
- “The ‘L’ Word”
- “Camp Confidential
- “Life, Love & Loathing in the Camden Literati”
INCITE@The Phoenix WC2: I’ve been hosting and performing my poetry at this popular LGBT poetry evening for 3 years.
ULTIMATE PLANET AWARDS: Hosted, introduced and compered this annual event celebrating LGBT excellence.
Organisations I’ve collaborated with:
- Camden LGBT Forum.
- Metropolitan Police
- St. Paul’s Cathedral
- The Metropolitan Archive Museum
- Stop Hate UK
- London Pride
- Bow Idea Store
- Winter Pride
- Kings College London
- Herts University
- Phoenix Theatre
- Hastings Pride
- G. Fest
- Bethnal Green Library
- Norwich Pride
- Planet Nation LGBT
- Hate Crime UK
- Celebrate and Educate
- The British Library
- Loudest Whispers
- The Library Club